Where is my refund?

Check the status of your refund at www.irs.gov by choosing “Get Your Refund Status”. Alternatively, you can call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1 (800) 829-1954, and follow the automated prompts. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and refund amount. ABDC does not have information regarding the status of your refund.


Can you do my taxes?

ABDC sends teams of volunteers to partner communities in rural Alaska to prepare current year income tax returns for all community residents whose income and expenses fall within scope. Residents of communities visited by the traveling team are also welcomed to send their information to the Anchorage office for current year return preparation if they miss the traveling team or if they require prior year or amended tax return preparation. Tax return preparation is made possible at no cost to the individual taxpayer through the contribution of generous sponsors. If you are a resident of a community that has a sponsor ABDC can prepare your return at the Anchorage office even if your community was not visited by a traveling team. You can contact the Anchorage office at 1 (907) 562-0335 to see if your community is on the travel schedule or if assistance is available through the Anchorage site.


Who will prepare my tax return if I choose ABDC?

Preparers are volunteers who have been trained in current year tax return preparation. Preparers are certified by the IRS and have received additional training in the specific requirements of rural Alaskan taxpayers.


What type of tax returns does ABDC prepare?

ABDC can only prepare tax returns that are within the scope of the IRS VITA program. Most individuals fall within scope however if you have high income, expenses or a complicated return you may be better served by a paid preparer. If you have any questions in regards to the scope of tax returns prepared, please call ABDC at 1 (907) 562-0335.


What do I need in order to have my taxes prepared?

  • You will need your photo ID and a copy of Social Security cards for yourself and each person included on your tax return.
  • You will need all tax documents you received. Examples: Form W-2’s, 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, etc. Please make sure you have a Form W-2 for each job you held during the tax year.
  • You are required to report all income unless specifically excluded even if you did not receive a form identifying the income.
  • Each taxpayer who needs a return will need to complete a Form 13614-C Intake Sheet and a Supplemental Information Sheet.
  • If you were a commercial fisher, you will need to complete a Commercial Fishing Information Sheet for either Captain or Crewmember.
  • If you ran a small business and have expenses to deduct, you will need to complete a Small Business information Sheet.


How can I submit my tax information to your office?

If you missed the team when they visited your community your return can be prepared by the Anchorage office. If your community was not visited by a traveling team your return can be prepared at the Anchorage office if your community was covered by a sponsor. Call ABDC at 1 (907) 562-0335 to determine if your community qualifies. Please refer to the Tax Forms section of this website for the Mail-in Instructions. Do not send in original documents in case they are lost in the mail. Send in copies of identification and documents.


How long will it take for my taxes to be filed with the IRS?

Returns completed by the traveling team will be e-filed with the IRS when the team returns to Anchorage. Once the return is e-filed, you will be contacted only if the return was rejected by the IRS or an error is discovered. If your taxes were prepared by the Mail-in site, please contact the Anchorage office for further information. Tax returns cannot be e-filed until ABDC receives a Form 8879 signed by the taxpayer and, if applicable, the spouse.


How long will it take to use the Mail-in Site for tax preparation?

Returns are processed in order of receipt. Call the office after you have submitted your documents to verify that they were received and ask when they might be completed. After your return is completed, you will need to sign the required authorization forms and return them to the office before your return can be e-filed with the IRS.


How can I get a copy of my tax return?

If ABDC prepared your tax return, a copy may be available from the ABDC office, call 1 (907) 562-0335. If you want your tax return faxed, or sent to a different address than is shown on the return, you will need to complete a “Request for One Time Release of Tax Information”. The completed form along with a legible copy of your identification can be faxed to the Anchorage office at (907) 562-6988.


If ABDC did not prepare your return, you should contact the preparer or the IRS directly. If you need an exact copy of the return, the IRS charges $57 for an exact copy of the return. However, you can get a “Tax Return Transcript” which is an IRS computer printout showing line by line entries reported on your tax return at no cost. A tax return transcript will meet most requirements for loans that require a copy of your tax return. Tax return transcripts are available for the past three filing years. To obtain a tax return transcript call the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040 and follow the automated prompts, or complete Form 4506T-EZ and mail it to the address on the form.


What if I cannot pay what I owe the IRS in full?

Short Term Extension: If you can pay the balance due within four months, you may qualify for a short term extension of time to pay. A short term extension of time to pay will generally result in lower penalties and interest than if a monthly installment plan were set up. You can request a short term extension by visiting www.irs.gov and searching “Online Payment Agreement (OPA) Application” in the “Search” box at the top, or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.


Installment Plan: The IRS may accept monthly payments; you can do this by requesting an installment plan. There is an application fee for an installment request.

  • If you set up an online payment agreement and make your payments by direct debit the fee is $31.
  • If you don’t set up an online payment agreement but make your payment by direct debit the fee is $107.
  • If you set up an online payment agreement but don’t make your payments by direct debit the fee is $149.
  • If you don’t set up an online payment agreement and don’t make your payments by direct debit the fee is $225.
  • You may qualify to pay a reduced fee of $43 if your income is below a certain level. The IRS will let you know whether you qualify for a reduced fee.

In addition to the above fees, you will pay interest and penalties on any outstanding tax due. You can request an Installment Agreement online if the total debt is less than $25,000 by going to www.irs.gov and clicking on “Online Payment Agreement (OPA) application”. Other options for requesting an Installment Agreement include filing Form 9465 with your tax return or by calling the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040.


Pay by Credit Card: You can pay by credit card. Visit www.irs.gov and choosing “Pay Your Tax Bill”.


Should I still file my tax return if I can’t pay?

Yes! You may avoid the failure to file penalty by filing a return even if you can’t pay the balance due.


Can I claim my grandkids, niece or nephew as a dependent if I support them? What about my girlfriend (or boyfriend)?

You may be able to claim your grandkids, niece, nephew or significant other if certain conditions are met. IRS dependent laws are complex. Consult your tax preparer or www.irs.gov and search dependents for more details.


I received a letter from the IRS. What should I do?

Always respond to requests for information and notices from the IRS. All IRS letters have a phone number to call. If you do not know what the letter is requesting or what it is about call the number and ask questions. The IRS responds best to taxpayers who do not ignore requests for information. The Alaska Business Development Center has a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic that may be able to provide assistance with IRS notices to qualifying individuals.


I don’t remember the last time I filed; will you prepare tax returns for previous years?

ABDC may be able to assist you in filing your prior year returns. Please call 1 (907) 562-0335 for more information.


How can I get ABDC to come to my community?

ABDC works with various sponsors to provide current year tax preparation services to rural Alaskan communities. Generally sponsors determine which communities services are provided to. Contact your native corporation, village council or CDQ and ask if they are interested in sponsoring tax related services in your community with ABDC. If they are interested, they may contact the Anchorage office at 1 (907) 562-0335.

Comments are closed.