The Volunteer Tax and Loan Program (VTLP), ABDC’s largest program, is a unique multi-faceted program that provides tax assistance to underserved, hard-to-reach, low income rural residents of partner communities. ABDC coordinates with over 160 program contributors and recruits more than one hundred volunteers to provide services to more than 150 rural communities across eleven regions of the state.
Direct face to face assistance with current year tax return preparation and taxpayer education is conducted during the months of February and March by teams of volunteers traveling to rural communities. Additionally, current year, prior year and amended return preparation as well as education and assistance with IRS controversy issues are conducted on a year-round basis from the Anchorage office. There is no charge to the individual for these services.
2019 Program Results
- Assisted 11 regions of Alaska: the Aleutians, Bering Strait, Bristol Bay, Copper River, Interior, Kodiak, North Slope,
Pribilofs, Southeast, Western, and Yukon Delta
- Traveled to 77 partner communities and assisted 83 more by mail
- Assisted nearly 8,200 taxpayers
- Assisted nearly 1,600 individuals age 60 and older
- Assisted taxpayers representing 320 commercial fishers
- Prepared over 6,800 tax returns
- Delivered over 3,000 educations
- Generated $10.6 million in tax refunds
- Recruited 109 volunteers from professional entities, organizations and universities
- Secured 140 program supporters